A highly respected and trusted brand, SPAX is the ideal choice for joiners, carpenters, crafters and builders. Offering professional solutions for professional users, SPAX offers great quality and reliability at competitive prices.
With a choice of SPAX screws available, take your pick from: YELLOX; ideal for indoor use, WIROX; perfect for general use, Stainless Steel A2; fantastic for outdoor use with direct exposure to the weather and MDF designed specifically for fastening fibreboards. Available online and in-store.
Special Characteristics of YELLOX screws
- Increased corrosion protection
YELLOX SPAX screws achieve corrosion protection that is more than 6 times greater than that offered by blue zinc plating at the same surface thickness (layer thickness of 4-6µm with artificial atmospheric corrosion). The symbol µm stands for a micron which measures the thickness of zinc coating. For reference, 1µm = 1000th of a mm.
- These screws are chrome(VI) free and much more environmentally-friendly both conventional surfaces, both during manufacturing and usage.
- Across time, these screws will continue to deliver greater corrosion protection. What’s more, they will also retain their yellow finish.
Special Characteristics of WIROX screws
- High protection against corrosion
Compared with conventional black zinc-plated screws, WIROX surface SPAX screws offer significantly higher corrosion protection.
- Environmentally friendly
WIROX screws are free of chrome VI which makes them more environmentally friendly than conventional surfaces. This is true both in production and in use.
- High zinc layer thickness
With a 25% increase in the thickness of the zinc coating, WIROX screws are now 10µm. As a result, SPAX WIROX screws satisfy Class T2/C2nw in accordance with future standard EN 14592 for roofed outdoor areas.
- EN 1670 standard SPAX screws with the optimised WIROX surface meet class 4 (“Very high resistance”), according to this European standard for the corrosion resistance of locks and fittings.
Special Characteristics of MDF screws
- Ideal for the fastening of fibreboards such as MDF and HDF
- There’s no need to pre-drill holes (wood-dependent)
- Effectively reduces splitting and bulging of the material
- Features a WIROX surface (A3J) and small 75° milling head
Special Characteristics of Stainless Steel A2 screws
- Designed specifically for outdoor applications directly exposed to the weather.
- Ideal for use in damp and wet areas eg. kitchens and bathrooms.
- Stainless steel has a high chromium content, which results in a protective layer forming on the surface.
- Further alloying constituents such as nickel, molybdenum, manganese and niobium gives the screws increased corrosion resistance.
Full thread SPAX screws VS Partial thread SPAX Screws
Fixing fittings with pre-drilled hole to, e.g., wooden beams.
- Thanks to the full thread there’s a higher compressive force.
- What’s more, there’s a greater absorption of high tensile forces.
For screwing boards to beams. The non-threaded part must be the same length or longer than the board to be fixed.
- Ideal for wood and wood-based materials such as chipboard.
- High pre-tension between the head and the thread section that acts only in the lower component.
- Secure connection with reduced gap formation because the thread doesn’t lock up.
Get in touch!
If you’ve bought any SPAX screws, we’d love to hear from you. Comment below or get in touch via our social media platforms. Find us on Facebook or connect with us on Instagram using #SPAX to @AxminsterTools.